Hannah and Drew

Our journey from engagement to the beyond!

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Hi, all! On this day of more, albeit ineffective, attacks in London we're pensive about the attacks on Drew's body. Hopefully, they will be ineffective, as well. Although we planned to do a food tasting for the wedding at the Italian American Social Club in San Francisco today, we spent the day getting Drew's fever down (caused by the pressure sore infection) and at the doctor's office. Drew's general practioner that is. We'll have to wait a week for meatballs and spumoni! We had an appalling visit at wound care yesterday leading us to decide to change to a different wound care center. There are a few in the Bay area. So we'll look for one that works directly with Sutter Health, where the home nurses are from.

We're hoping the nurse that has been coming for a couple of months can suggest another location to us tomorrow when she comes to change his wound and pressure sore infection dressings. I'm still livid about the care at the wound care center in Walnut Creek through John Muir Medical. Suffice it to say that despite many calls to them by the home nurse about the severity of this second pressure sore they did nothing and kept no record of her calls! They are disorganized and the doctors there (both the plastic surgeon and the wound specialist) blame the patient for everything and just try to cover their asses for all their many mistakes. They didn't even know the home care had changed companies which occured in March! Plus they just don't care enough to take accountability or genuinely help prevent problems.

Instead of giving any solutions or practical advice or references for other types of care (such as physical therapy) they give platitudes and unreasonable excuses. When I pressed the wound specialist about the severity, which the center's nurses were expressing as we waited for the specialist, I was told the growing, black pressure sore is not an emergency! Really! Cutting out half his butt from the last one wasn't either I guess! Although Sutter home care provides physical therapy the insurance will only allow a certain number of home visits so we will look for an out-patient facility that offers physical therapy covered by Drew's insurance. Summer fun!

Drew's doctor was upset, as well, and agreed we need to find different wound care. She also put in an order for physical therapy to get that ball moving faster. At least someone in the medical profession has their head on straight! We don't know if he will have to continue with the special sand bed. It adds to his sweating (it has to stay at 97 deg~!) which is not good for pressure sores. It was supposed to help but since he's gotten another we don't know that it has. Maybe an air mattress on our bed would be sufficient. Let's hope. He will keep the portable wound vacuum for some time still. He is much happier, despite feeling crappy from the fever, etc... about the situation knowing we will seek better care. The way he was treated made him feel insignifigant. He also had a counseling appt today but that will wait til he's better from the infection.

I did register for my classes today. I will be taking Econ for non-majors (sounds like a blast!), Geography of U.S. and Canada (not sure why Mexico isn't included), the History of Calif, and History of Amer Foreign Relations. Lots of books, but what's new? My "Incomplete" didn't affect my eligibility for those courses, fortunately. I'm buying my books now to get a jump start. I will be finishing up the clean up of the St Clement's library this month. I haven't gone much this week due to Drew's sore but I have gotten a lot of old books outta there!

Edward visited us today. He took his girlfriend, Ashley, to San Francisco for the weekend. They stayed in a horrible hotel that had urine on the stairs. In an attempt to avoid said urine he fell down the stairs and hurt his back. He took some Tylenol when he was here so I hope he feels better now. He came by our place on his way back to Fresno. He and Drew played with his pocket PlayStation (PSP). Ashley said she wants to own her own vegetarian restaurant someday. I never thought Edward would date a vegetarian! But then he's not the same, um, schiezter he used to be. I think she's good for him.

BTW, I have to promote the pancreatic cancer research organization, for info on donations go to www.panCAN.org. This Swarovski crystal bracelet is a pretty way to donate $30. Or this handy $15 tumbler.



Well, when we have any more important or vaguely interesting news I'll post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home