Hi again, everyone. We went to wound care today and found out Drew's 2nd wound has an 8 cm tract(like a tunnel of receding flesh) branching off the area visible from the surface. In other words, beyond what you can see, there's receding flesh under the surface. This means the wound vacuum is not working on this wound really at all and it's getting worse. He will need plastic surgery ASAP! But as we all know, surgeons are hard to schedule. In fact, Hamstra, the wound surgeon from San Ramon Medical, has been trying to contact a plastic surgeon but HE hasn't gotten a hold of anyone yet. We will begin to look on our own tomorrow. Drew also meets with a physiatrist tomorrow and hope maybe he can suggest a plastic surgeon. Please pray for and/or think of Drew, his family and I at this time as this is a very serious development in this 2nd wound. Despite all our efforts to heal it, it has not done so. Very scary! Even more now, he can't get out of bed which is very saddening for him. It's hard to impress on everyone just how difficult is to be 29 and feel like you're a 75 yr old because you can't do much of anything 29 yr olds do. He def doesn't have the body of a 75 yr old but it's easy to feel that way. It makes it even harder to understand those who harm their bodies of their own will. When you have control over your destiny-use it!
We're working on getting our engagement photos done before he goes in the hospital. We'd like to make our save the dates for the wedding on the computer ourselves w/the vintage postcards I have downloaded and an engagement photo. But the postcards have copyrights over them so we may have to buy the paper versions first. We'll see. I want to do them now but he's bed-ridden so it's hard. Plus we have to focus on calling doctors and dealing w/crappy medical insurance and whether they'll cover home care. At least, the infectious disease doctor from the hospital who we saw at wound care today, Villanueva, said he'd send them a doctor's order for the necessity of continued home care.
School's good but it will crazy in Oct when I have midterms and Drew will be in the hospital for the skin/tissue flap surgery. Just like last yr :( I wish
we could go back to 2003...so much more fun for us. Anyway, I'm working on having a birthday shindig/bridesmaid gathering on Sep 30th. I deserve a party!
Basically, New Orleans is a sewage dump right now. 10 times the safe level of bacteria in the water that's everywhere! I can't believe there are people who refuse to leave/be rescued. I mean, I realize they want to preserve what's left as it's all they have but it's so DANGEROUS!! 9 cases of West Nile Virus have already been reported. Misquitos are thriving. FI contracted Viral Encephalitis this way in San Diego, went into a coma for 6 wks and almost died twice! So, it makes no sense to me. I mean I understand those who couldn't get out on their own but when the national guard is coming in to rescue you-get out of there! I just know there will be epidemic disease. And that governor-preventing manditory evacuation! I can't believe these officials are fighting amongst themselves instead of thinking of the people! But I am glad that the mayor of New Orleans has noted the public health threat of letting people stay in contaminated water to spread disease. And that those who do care are doing what they are.
I found out my uncle in Penn, is heading up Hurricane Katrina Relief through the organization he works for. They are a church charity/outreach organization with ongoing involvement in the Tsunami ravaged areas, the Sudan and other communities in desperate situations. If you want to check it out here links
http://www.mcc.org/katrina/ and http://www.mcc.org/katrina/katrina050905.html. They have been focusing on Alabama and Mississippi since most others are in New Orleans. I encourage everyone to donate even just $10 to some reputable relief organization for this disaster. Every little bit helps. What goes around comes around, too. We here in Northern Calif are always worried about the next big quake and you never know. We would want all the help we could get if our homes and lives were destroyed, too.
I'll keep this updated about Drew's condition.
We're working on getting our engagement photos done before he goes in the hospital. We'd like to make our save the dates for the wedding on the computer ourselves w/the vintage postcards I have downloaded and an engagement photo. But the postcards have copyrights over them so we may have to buy the paper versions first. We'll see. I want to do them now but he's bed-ridden so it's hard. Plus we have to focus on calling doctors and dealing w/crappy medical insurance and whether they'll cover home care. At least, the infectious disease doctor from the hospital who we saw at wound care today, Villanueva, said he'd send them a doctor's order for the necessity of continued home care.
School's good but it will crazy in Oct when I have midterms and Drew will be in the hospital for the skin/tissue flap surgery. Just like last yr :( I wish
we could go back to 2003...so much more fun for us. Anyway, I'm working on having a birthday shindig/bridesmaid gathering on Sep 30th. I deserve a party!
Basically, New Orleans is a sewage dump right now. 10 times the safe level of bacteria in the water that's everywhere! I can't believe there are people who refuse to leave/be rescued. I mean, I realize they want to preserve what's left as it's all they have but it's so DANGEROUS!! 9 cases of West Nile Virus have already been reported. Misquitos are thriving. FI contracted Viral Encephalitis this way in San Diego, went into a coma for 6 wks and almost died twice! So, it makes no sense to me. I mean I understand those who couldn't get out on their own but when the national guard is coming in to rescue you-get out of there! I just know there will be epidemic disease. And that governor-preventing manditory evacuation! I can't believe these officials are fighting amongst themselves instead of thinking of the people! But I am glad that the mayor of New Orleans has noted the public health threat of letting people stay in contaminated water to spread disease. And that those who do care are doing what they are.

I found out my uncle in Penn, is heading up Hurricane Katrina Relief through the organization he works for. They are a church charity/outreach organization with ongoing involvement in the Tsunami ravaged areas, the Sudan and other communities in desperate situations. If you want to check it out here links
http://www.mcc.org/katrina/ and http://www.mcc.org/katrina/katrina050905.html. They have been focusing on Alabama and Mississippi since most others are in New Orleans. I encourage everyone to donate even just $10 to some reputable relief organization for this disaster. Every little bit helps. What goes around comes around, too. We here in Northern Calif are always worried about the next big quake and you never know. We would want all the help we could get if our homes and lives were destroyed, too.
I'll keep this updated about Drew's condition.
Labels: Drew's health, Fall 2005

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home