Hannah and Drew

Our journey from engagement to the beyond!

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hi, Everyone! When I called Drew this morning he was exercising! Finally, physical therapy is being taken seriously. I don't know what kind of exercises they are have him do as I have yet to go to the hospital today. He has no more fever, by the way. As for the rest of his treatment, the surgeon and the wound Ostomist are still deciding how they want to go about it. Which type of bed he needs, air bed or sand bead bed, etc...Whether there would need to be surgery or if strong anitbiotics will kill the infections. And also whether plastic surgery (a skin flap over the hole in the tailbone area where the first pressure sore was) would be necessary. It may heal enough on it's own with the wound vacuum. Since pressure sores are usually a problem for the elderly, not strapping young men like Drew, they are used to handling a different scenario. But the staff at San Ramon are very aware of the difference of Drew's condition to the skin of an elderly patient, unlike John Muir. They are still considering the options and they come to Drew to tell him what those options are and for his input. WE ARE VERY HAPPY ABOUT THIS! Especially with the Wound Ostomist, Bill, who is especially good about communicating with us. He has several other doctors contributing, including a surgeon who we also feel is working in the best interest of Drew, stressing the importance of a continued program when he leaves the hospital.

We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, especially by those who haven't even met Drew! I'll keep giving information when I have it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home