So there has been some possible headway made today! Drew saw a social worker who actually suggested sending him home within the next week as long as daily home care could be provided for. Because we have the same bed he's on in the center, here at home. As long as he stays in bed, Ting won't have an issue with that anyway. So the social worker is contacting Drew's insurance to see if they will cover that. Also, one of the doctors who has talked to him from the hospital next door to the rehab center, Dr Pageant I think his name is, disagrees with Ting about not getting up at all at this stage. He's treated many patients with these pressure ulcers including ones who have had this same flap covering surgery. He says for 3-4 wks you need to be in bed but after that you want to start applying small doses of pressure to the area so the skin has some give and will respond well to movement after it heals completely. He said if you wait until all the stitches have dissolved and everything is totally healed over the skin will be too tight and THAT could cause skin break down just like too much would.
So both Drew's mom and I said Drew should have that doctor Pageant talk to Dr Ting. You see how many different opinions there are about his situation?! One of the ambulance workers we talked to at the appt at UCSF last week also told us about a county service for home care that Drew could apply for. They would even do laundry and cooking if we needed. Mmmm...that could come in handy! I will have all day classes Tues and Thu, the other days I'll be done by late morning so then they could leave. Please think good thoughts for a home care working out because the help at Laurel Grove (esp the evening nurses) are terrible.
I'll update more tomorrow as I'm also going to see a credential advisor and possibly the history grad program advisor, too. My grades did turn out better last semester than I was afraid they would. Only one class was a disappointment. But I have a feeling the history dept will still tell me I'm not ready to begin the graduate classes. Really frustrating ... Good night!
So both Drew's mom and I said Drew should have that doctor Pageant talk to Dr Ting. You see how many different opinions there are about his situation?! One of the ambulance workers we talked to at the appt at UCSF last week also told us about a county service for home care that Drew could apply for. They would even do laundry and cooking if we needed. Mmmm...that could come in handy! I will have all day classes Tues and Thu, the other days I'll be done by late morning so then they could leave. Please think good thoughts for a home care working out because the help at Laurel Grove (esp the evening nurses) are terrible.
I'll update more tomorrow as I'm also going to see a credential advisor and possibly the history grad program advisor, too. My grades did turn out better last semester than I was afraid they would. Only one class was a disappointment. But I have a feeling the history dept will still tell me I'm not ready to begin the graduate classes. Really frustrating ... Good night!
Labels: Drew's health, Winter 2005-6

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home