Have I ever mentioned we live right next to a Ghiradelli Chocolate factory? I used to wonder why it always smelled like chocolate even though I knew that. I always thought someone was just making brownies all the time. Man, am I smart or what? The cherry blossoms are exploding in the grounds here and so are my allergies... Anyway, although the weather is beautiful now incompetant medical personnel have to rain on the parade. Here's the newest headache. So if you'll remember the main reason Drew got his 1st pressure sore was his wheelchair. It slipped out of alignment so he was sitting right on his tailbone. Pressure all concentrated in that area for too long= pressure sore. So it's been a top priority to get a new chair now that he's up and around again. He couldn't be assessed for a new one until he could be out of bed. So Sutter Health Care (the provider for post surgery physical therapy and in charge of getting his new equipment orders placed) closed his case for no reason last week. No notice, the physical therapist just stopped coming after having only come twice. They ordered the wrong kind of slide board and shower bench although Drew specifically placed an order for different ones and we had no word about getting a badly needed new chair after leaving several messages.
When he finally got a hold of the case mgr to get care set back up (he still needs physical therapy no one should have decided that was over) he found out that Sutter DID contact Wheelchairs of Berkeley to order a new chair but no one from WOB ever called Drew to come in an be fitted for one. Can ppl be less competant please?! Hello, this isn't a book or a fridge it's an integral part of his life and health! And now, the freaking chair is falling apart! One of the Front Wheels on the Chair Broke!! It no longer screws in properly, it slides out when lifted up at all. He could have fallen hard with this broken wheel as well as he could have died from the pressure sore that started with a messed up chair back. I digress on that though. Believe me, I look at every little thing like a hawk now. And he's gotten much more thorough with things, too. He knew he couldn't be up in it with the wheel messed up.
Anyway, I just can't believe they weren't working on getting his new chair after being contacted about the necessity. I mean they knew months ago he would need a new chair by now anyway because they knew when his surgery date was and that he would need it as soon as he recovered. So tomorrow, before we pick up our finished invitations, we'll be getting his old chair fixed because a new chair hasn't been provided yet. Grrrrr.... good night!
Labels: Drew's health, medical equipment, Spring 2006

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home