Okay, this is going to be completely a vent. And I'm mad enough that I don't care if I gross anyone out. You have been warned... So we'll start with a question. Would you buy a house or rent an apt without a functioning toilet? Meaning one you could not use? What if there were no houses or apts or any type of living space in your vicinity that had any working toilets. You would be forced to buy a house or rent an apt without a toilet. Effectively this is what we had to do as far as Drew was concerned. He cannot get on our toilet due to where it is positioned in our bathroom. But many other bathrooms he could not get through the doorway or into the shower so this was the best we could do. So now another question. If you had no toilet to use you would have to find an alternative piece of equipment, no? That is called a commode (yes, I went there). This is a fact of life. Because Drew also cannot get into our shower without his chair (which would rust if he did so) he also needs a shower bench. There are medical companies that make shower bench/commodes. As the only alternative, this is what he has to use. The one he was using before his surgery broke. It was old. So he requested a new one through the home care service (Sutter) who in turn made the order with the medical supply company they work with, Apria. That was probably a month ago. They sent two commodes that would fit a child of 10 at the largest (yes, twice!) and neither was a shower bench. Now that the proper thing has been ordered, the insurance (Aetna) won't cover it! They don't cover commodes that are benches despite the fact that as a paraplegic the non-bench kind are impossible to transfer onto because they all have non-dropping arms! So basically, because he's disabled, his insurance won't let him use the toilet... ah, our health care. Can't live without 'em, can't kill 'em... and the alternative to the alternative is really not good. But, of course, ADA laws prevent discrimination against the disabled. Please note my sarcasm. I am literally livid!
Labels: Drew's health, medical equipment, Summer 2006

1 Comments:
Hi, Hannah - you haven't met me yet, but I'm Drew's - God, what is it? First cousin twice removed - his grandmother is my cousin; his great grandmother was my Aunt Thel. My actual name is Karen Ivy (shh, don't tell anyone), hedera is my blog handle. My husband Jim and I will be at your wedding for about long enough for the vows (we'll be packing for vacation, leaving the next day), so you and I may have to meet at a later date.
I spent the last 6 years with a cane due to arthritic knees, not as bad as Drew's issues but enough to give me the flavor of what you're going through with the insurance companies. Wish I could help; the best advice I can give you is what you're already learning: nobody cares about Drew's problems the way you and he do, and you can't take anything for granted. Ride the insurance companies and manufacturers like a balky horse, write everything down, with dates, and let them know you're doing it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I actually have a couple of commodes and a shower bench that I was going to offer you, from my last surgery, but from what you say they won't work for him, wrong style. Too bad. If you want to come by and look, you're welcome, but I don't think he could use them, the bench isn't a commode and the commode has arms. It does, however, fit a full sized adult (that would be me).
Post a Comment
<< Home