Hannah and Drew

Our journey from engagement to the beyond!

Friday, November 02, 2007

Notice something? Feel deja vu all over again? According to the El Cerrito high marquee out front of the school, I am still 15 yrs old. That will be interesting when I start teaching my own class... When Drew picked me up from ECHS last week, it was his 17th birthday. Apparently, at the school, we're living in the Twilight Zone. It's been this way all year. Maybe they aren't going to fix it.

Everything is going pretty well there. I basically subbed for two classes last week when my master teacher was gone. There was a sub but she hid behind his desk and read Patricia Cornwell novels. She's a district sub who doesn't have a great reputation. Apparently, she's been barred from subbing at Richmond High... I'll just say the kids were glad I was there to help them work on the things he left since the sub ignored them. The kids complained to Perero about her when he came back. As far as how they were with me, they were great. They were very cooperative and did good work. This was for both an English language learner class of World history kids and a college prep class of U.S. history kids. I felt like it was a good experience for me to teach but I was annoyed that the sub got paid for not teaching. I'm sure it helped for me that there was someone else there for the kids to be annoyed with. They felt like I was on their side. Since the kids and I told Perero about her it will probably make its way through the grapevine.

So, my grandma is not doing well at all. She suffered a massive stroke last weekend. It damaged about 2/3 of her body, esp the right side. She already had trouble with her left side. Her left eye didn't work, so she used her right eye. That eye no longer opens. The eye that opens she cannot see out of anyway. She's unresponsive when you talk to her. Basically motionless except for some muscle spasms on the left side. She does open that one eye but it doesn't look as though anything registers mentally. The doctors say she will not recover from the stroke which may have happened over several days. It affected too much of her body and she was already doing so badly. She was behaving very strangely for a few days, even hostile. Even more so than a week earlier when she was already really confused. So it's just a matter of time.

She and my grandpa had just moved into Sierra View home in Reedley (about 30 mins outside Fresno) that weekend. They went straight into assisted care. My uncle Stan and aunt Carol live in Reedley, very close to the Reedley hospital where she has been since the stroke. We have another family member who lives in this home, too. I went to Reedley on Monday and stayed through Tuesday. Peter spent Wednesday and Thursday there. We will be going back soon so keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home